Kannan Devan Tea Museum
At a distance of 3.5 km from Munnar, the KDHP Museum, popularly known as Tata Tea Museum, is located in the Nallathanni Estate of Tata Tea. The museum is owned by Kannan Devan Hills Plantations Limited owned by Tata Group.
The museum exhibits the story of Munnar that how it was transformed from an unoccupied piece of land to an expansive plantation town. Photographs and old machines that were used in tea processing can be seen on display. From the rudimentary tea roller to the present day, fully automated tea factory at Madupatty, the Tea Museum gives a first-hand knowledge about tea processing and the operations that go into the making of black tea. From the granite sundial made in 1913 by the Art Industrial School at Nazareth in Tamil Nadu that greets visitors at the entrance to the museum, the memorabilia preserved inside include an iron-age burial urn from the 2nd century BC that was exhumed near Periakanal Estate in the 1970s, the original tea roller of 1905, the rotor vane (the old-time CTC type tea processing machine), the Pelton wheel used in the power generation plant that existed in Kanniamally Estate in the 1920 and a rail engine wheel of the Kundaly Valley Light Railway that transported men and material between Munnar and Top Station during the early part of the last century.
A demonstration room for tea tasting is another attraction where one would come across different varieties of tea. One can taste some of the most exotic varieties of tea available around the world here.
The museum is situated in a scenic location on Pooyankuty Road on the outskirts of Munnar town.
Timings: 10 AM to 4 PM. Monday Holiday.